Saturday, February 7, 2009

Self Portrait Research: Kat Katz












These self-portraits were painted by Kat Katz from D.C. Katz is a 24 year old metal vocalist, yoga teacher, masseuse, writer, and painter. Her paintings are as multi-dimensional and expressive as her lifestyle. Raw, heavy, personal, substantial, illusive, inclusive, and meditative are words that describe the content of Katz work. I met her in high school, and she continues to be my biggest influence. When I looked at her work for the first time, that was the instance I decided art was beautiful. Katz was my initial inspiration to paint and write poetry.

The lower portrait is a 36" x 48" mixed media piece titled "Lost at Sea." Acrylic, sea shells, sand, and newspaper were used. The subject appears to be reflecting and reestablishing herself.

When looking at this piece, the viewer's eye is immediately drawn to the bright blue in the foreground and then moves to the subject's face. The face reflects subtle colors within the background and invites the eye to bounce among the rich textures in the background before returning to the subject. The eye flows easily because there is repeated color, but not competing color.

The composition observes the rule of thirds and is divided by the ground and words. It's subject, Katz, extends into all three thirds and creates a feeling of unity.

Brush strokes are loose and bold observing a tone of meditation that is appropriate for this stream of consciousness work. Text is integrated affectively because it reflects other bold lines. This helps intensify the elements of collage and texture.

I am especially impressed by Katz's ability to integrate poetry into her paintings. Most always, when artists add words into art, their work is compromised. Katz work is enhanced. This is one of the many things I want to learn from Katz.

In my self-portrait, I will attempt to include my poetry with the aid of a mixed media collage and unifying elements. Using mixed media has always been a challenge for me. Perhaps creating a faux mixed media digital painting will help me integrate mixed media into acrylic, watercolor, and oil paintings. I look forward to expanding my comfort zone.


No comments:

Post a Comment